Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Spring, spring, spring

Hey Ladies, I wanted a fresh spring color for this posting, but you may not be able to read the aqua!  This beautiful weather has brightened my mood 100%, after all the weekend rain, I was much in need of brightening. Things here in the Valley are going well. Stephen King has his garden out and the lawn looks like a magazine pix. It is so good to have a yardner in the house. Now we just need a maid. I haven't started Spring cleaning yet, waiting for the pollen to die down, or the rain to stop, any excuse, really. We have 19 new lambs and they are growing like weeds and filling the pastures with baabaabaa..
I'm still thinking of retirement, but the urgency has calmed to a managable level. A dear friend of mine has cancer and he spoke to me about not wasting my remaining years. That has forced me to think about what we want with our "golden years". My friend was retired only 3 years when he was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung cancer. His wife is my exact age, we share a birthday and so many similarities in thinking that we feel like twins separated at birth. His illness has responded well to treatment until recently. I truly believe he doesn't have long now. His last visit was difficult for both of us. At 60, my remaining years are limited, I know. Will Stephen King and I have time to do all the traveling we have always planned? Will I see my grandchildren grow into the fine adults I know they will become? Will I ever be thin again? OK, that last one isn't necessary or possible, but I had to lighten up! Really, we all need to consider the future. I know I'm Heaven bound when I die, but what about the years till then? There's the rub.
I'm working on this at work!!! Something I never do, but I have a few minutes before our next case conference and think I'll take advantage of some down time. We have so many incoming 6th graders with IEPs that I don't know how we will place them all in next year's schedule. And no we aren't finished scheduling yet, our admin is, "still making decisions". Hey, guess who gets to work all of July! Not really, but why can't they see these things before April? Do you have such issues? It is too late for this year, but next year I am only doing guidance. No admin, no discipline, no extra duties, no late nights, strictly guidance. Promise, hear me? I am! Pinky swear, cross my heart. How I don't know yet. :-(
I am so excited to see you all at Anna's shower. I do hope Kirstie is bringing Baby Mc. I can't wait to hold her. It has been so long since we have had a tiny one at home. A former student brought in her new 5 pounder, her 3rd in 2 years. Broke my heart. Another issue with work, broken hearts. I love hearing from you all on here, but Alison takes the cake! Al always lifts me with her cheery response, praising the weather snow or shine, sharing endearing things the boys have done or the joys of a farming/coaching wife. Alison, you should have your own blog. I'd love to make mine more interesting, but don't know how to share pictures or links to other good blogs. Maybe that will improve with retirement, too.
Time to go. Another lying parent will come in and try to convince us she is Mom of the Year. Sorry, that slipped out. I am attempting to find the positive side of everything each day. Some days are more challenging than others. And some days I get beaten down by it all. Others, I manage to see the goodness and love in everyone so easily and encourage them to keep up the good job they are doing. These days have been few in recent weeks. Maybe more me than them??? Pollyanna has had hers eyes opened for sure with this career.
See you all on the 15th. Enjoy the Merry Month of May till then. Talk to me. Love, Hedy

3 comments:

Milk House door said...

thank you for the kind words, Hedy. I guess I don't think about it when I'm writing it. I just want to share what I've been up to. BTW, I would love to have my own blog- in all of my spare time!!! :) lol I need about 12 more hours in a day.

I cannot even begin to share with you how much I love my job this year. It has impacted my life more than I ever could have imagined. I don't know that I've ever been as happy with a job before in all of my life. I guess that's a good thing. I'm just sorry it took 10 years to find. Looking back though, it's taken 10 years of falling down to get here. I have no regrets about anything I've done. Jordan's still mad at me for changing again, but I hope with time he'll understand and forgive me. someday when I'm old, I suppose :)

Hope you are all well. I'm off to baseball again tonight- if it doesn't rain (pray that it does, please!). I love my kids and baseball, but I would be ok with a night at home with them all for a change.

Take care and love you all.

Milk House door said...

Happy mother's day!!!

Unknown said...

I hope to see most of you on Saturday! I miss you!