Sunday, March 2, 2008

Postpartum blues???

I think I may have post-partum blues this week. It is the only excuse I can make up for laying around all day in my jammies reading. I got Elaine's pix of that Sweet Anna and those proud sibs yesterday and immediately felt old and well, just old. What a precious bunch, how happy you must be, Elaine. It has been forever since we sent out our kids' birth announcements; in fact we had to carve them onto the stone and hand deliver them by horse and buggy. Jeez.
Actually, I had 4 of my grandkids yesterday, which explains my laziness today. Shawn has the flu and I had her 3 and Nina did the Polar-Plunge for Special Olympics so Gavin was here, too. We had fun and everyone survived, but Papaw and I were happy to see the other grandparents show up around 8 last night. There is a reason God gives us children when we are young, we could not make it otherwise.
I have read more this winter than I have in years, wonder why? I love reading and can get lost in a good book for hours. Mom used to find me behind our couch or under the coffee table reading, thinking I was hidden from the world. Now I cannot get on the floor, of course and must read sitting.
I just read "Beautiful Boy" a father's story of his son's addiction to meth. It is something else. I have the son's story "Tweaked" to start soon, but I have to wait a bit and process this one. It is so close to our own experiences with our son 20 years ago that I could scarcely believe it. He was retelling our emotion and experience; the anxiety, the waiting and the lies were so similar; I felt as if I were experiencing it again. I'm going to encourage my family to read them. I think it will help them with their own children and with their memories of that time in our lives.
That blue is difficult to read, no? But it tied in with my "blue" mood. The book was the reason for the blues, I guess. It is difficult to think about those days.
I cannot wait til Saturday :-) I hope the weather cooperates and everyone makes it. I will need an address and directions, I haven't been up there since the 60s, honest!! That was approximately 15-25 years before you all were born, I know. I have no problem with the cost of the rooms, Jill, but this gas price is killing me. And it is my turn to drive to Gulf Shores this month. I may have to sell something to get down there. And we will have no snickering from you little ones with that thought, Kirstie and Anna. I know what you're thinking.
It is finally getting warmer, near 60 today. I keep checking for signs of green. It is supposed to rain for the next 2 days, but at least it isn't snow. How do you all cope with so much every year? We have an extra 3 days of school because of snow days already. A large portion of Orange county roads are still gravel and in poor condition, so it doesn't take much snow to shut us down.
How did all the sectionals turn out for you? We were in the finals last night and put in a good show but were defeated by Orleans. It was OK though, we had only won 4 games all season and everyone was so proud of the coach and team for being there last night, you would have thought we won. Small towns are sweet that way. Our young coach (asst. principal) has conducted himself well this winter. He has not slacked up on either job and it is obvious he loves them both. He is a nice young man and we work well together, I think. I respect him for his efforts.
Steve is home from a shooting match, Caleb calls them gun fights. I better go pretend to be cooking supper, you know, flick some flour on my face, tie on an apron, boil some water...whatever.
See everyone Saturday, have a safe week. Hedy

14 comments:

Kirstie said...

Do we have any details set for Saturday? Time? Place? I know it should all be fun and games but I was thinking we could take a few minutes to share our mentor/portfolio info. Really, what would a gaggle get together be without someone stressing about some sort of portfolio? I really can't wait to see everyone.

anna said...

Oh Kirstie...you are killing me :)

Unknown said...

Hey kids.....

We are staying at the Homewood Suites on Highway 26. If you come off of 65, take the I26 exit (I think it is exit #172) and turn left. You will go through 2 stoplights (I think) and it is on the left. It is the next left after you pass Mike's carwash.

As far as time goes, I am not sure. We probably can't check in until 3, but do you want to meeting somewhere else earlier?

Do you want me to bring lasagna and cook in the room instead of going out? I would be happy to do that, just let me know!

Also, I need a definite count on people. If not everyone is staying, we might be able to get by with one room. Let me know today if possible.

And is anybody surprised that Kirstie is the one who wants to work? (wink)

Elaine said...

Ladies, I am having so much fun reading these posts. I love it. I am attempting to post my first comment and hope that it goes through...we shall see.

I am planning on coming this weekend. Jill, I will not be staying the night b/c of Annie, but would be more than happy to help chip in with the cost of the room(s). I am so looking forward to seeing all of you...I am giving up a jewelry party to get my gaggle fix. I can't wait to see everyone.

Kirstie, I will attempt to gather my portfolio stuff...I made sure to bring that file home while on leave, but I haven't touched it...I've been too busy lovin' on Miss Annie and I don't feel a damn bit guilty either. :-)

Hedy King said...

We are expecting 4-6 inches of snow tomorrow, but Steve tells me to go anyway. That makes me somewhat nervous; better check the insurance policies. If we want to eat in the room, I'll do chips/salsa and a dessert. I will probably be afternoon getting there. Are there 2 bedrooms in the suites? On the website, it looked that way with a living area separating them. Right? We can all sleep in 1 unit, I think. I need to see these portfolios, since I do not have a mentor, am not a real counselor and may apply at a neighboring county for a job soon. Cannot wait to catch up with everyone's news, esp. Little Anna. Be safe.

Unknown said...

It is up to you all, but I was thinking it would be easier just to eat there in the hotel. Plus, people can bring babies if they want...especially new babies....Maybe we could all go out for a big breakfast on Sunday. Maybe even cracker barrel where angela can get something spilled on her!

Right now we have a 2 bedroom. If Elaine isn't the only one staying, then we can swing it financially. If others drop out, however, we might want to reconsider. I am so excited to see you all....Elaine is giving up a jewelry party and I am giving up a drunken brawl of a wedding reception, but it is all worth it to see you all together!

Craig asked me if the Huber winery lady was coming (Cindy) and I informed him that she wasn't in the gaggle. He then asked if Hedy was coming, and I told her that she has to because she is Mother Goose, head of the gaggle.

Oh, and does anybody besides me see a striking resemblance between Anna and Avery? Maybe some of the gaggle members were closer than we knew! wink, wink I know, you were all thinking it, but you were all way too polite to say it!!

Kirstie said...

Good plan Jill... Get a room that is not walking distance from any bar. I hope you don't have to pick up me and Anna in your PJs after we get stranded at some dive;)hehehe
I plan on staying the night. Should we plan on getting there around 3:00? Is that too early or too late? As much as I would like to meet at the Mall or something, I would probably get in trouble. Any other thoughts?
I think eating in the room sounds great. I will bring something snacky. Will we need plates and such? Jill... remember, no onions in the lasagna:).
By the way... I have not been working on my portfolio, I just have alot of information from my mentor and I wanted to help out my friends... Thank you very much;)

anna said...

Kirstie, you have a lot of info from your mentor...I don't think I've ever spoken to mine except through one email at the beginning of the year. I am definitely staying and I think eating in the room is a good idea...I am running low on money which brings me to the point that I may have to send Jill a check in the mail when I get paid next Friday (seriously, I am not joking!) I will try to figure something out for food to bring... I could make a cheeseball with crackers or make a bean dip...I have to ponder on it, but it will be something snacky for late at night. Of course I might have to spend my money on wine...yes yes I think I will bring wine too! I cannot wait to see you all! Hedy I saw about the snow and wish you safe travels. I will be there around 3:00, as long as Jill is there to let us in. Love you all!

Unknown said...

ok then....i will fix the lasagna and will plan on being there by 3...you all stay safe between now and then!!!

Unknown said...

just to clarify....i am using andrew's computer!!! this really is jill.....

Milk House door said...

I'll be there too!!! I can't wait. Jordan's last basketball game is at 2:45, so I won't even leave Rochester until 3:30 and to Lafayette by 5-ish. Looking forward to it!!!! I hope the snow isn't too bad down that way, Hedy. It doesn't look good on the radar right now....

Hedy King said...

I am so anxious about this snow, we are supposed to get 9-12 inches tonight. I will wait till 10:00 to decide, Steve thinks they will have the highways OK by then. North of us looks good. I flip from praying to cussing. I WANT TO SEE YOU ALL.

Unknown said...

ok hedy....it is after 10? are you in? or are you out? (i got that from watching gemstv.com)

Hedy King said...

Orange countyis under a state of emergency and anyone on the roads will be arrested and we have 13 inches of snow on our road. Guess I will not be going anywhere. I am soooo bummed. My sister was going to Chicago today, too and we thought of driving as far as Lafayette together. No. I hope everyone has a great visit, I'll give you a call this evening and say Hi. Jill, I'll send you some $$ for the room. Thanks for the phone call. Let me know if we can plan this again. Miss you all. Hedy